Dr Shane Brooks
I am an aquatic ecologist with a passion for robust science, sustainable management and restoration. I have 25 years of experience working to improve the management of rivers and wetlands with pragmatic advice built upon strong evidence, critical analysis and logical thinking. I'm an advocate for closing the adaptive management loop using evidence generated through monitoring and evaluation to improve management practice. I work with people, crunch numbers, build tools, solve problems and get results.
My consulting projects range in scale from site-level investigations up to large-scale national strategic management planning with collaborative teams.
Clients and delivery partners include:
- Commonwealth environmental water office
- CSIRO - Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (Vic)
- Department for Environment and Water (SA)
- Catchment Management Authorities
- Centre for Freshwater Ecosystems
- Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research
- bespoke teams of respected independent professional scientists
This project is mapping river banks, the channel and riparian vegetation in GIS from aerial LiDAR data collected by Victoria's Department of Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).
LiDAR stands for Light Detection and Ranging. An aircraft mounted laser scans the landscape measuring the distance to the ground. Vegetation cover and structure is captured in the laser reflections that are above the ground.
Complex problem solving requires effective teams with relevant skills and experience. I work with a network of respected scientists from independent consultancies, universities and government agencies to build task focused teams to deliver projects.
This provides our clients with access to collective experience across many facets of the water industry and complementary science disciplines spanning ecology, hydrology, geomorphology, water policy, social science, engineering and data science.Read More